December 2, 2009

A Sea Change

Over the past few weeks this blog has seen more frequent posts (at least once a week now, for your reading pleasure!), a new name, and now a change in the color scheme.  I'll probably keep playing around with the settings a bit until I get comfortable with the changes, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.


Other than those rather mundane updates, I have a couple of reasons for posting anew.  First, Chairman Steele has been staring at me accusingly ever since my last post yelling at the RNC.  I may have learned something valuable about using pictures of people whom you're yelling at.  They tend to look angrily at you after the fact.  Second, it's just one of those nights.  Three in the morning, I should have been asleep a long time ago, but I couldn't.  Certain trouble kept me up, and now I need some productivity before I can succumb to sleep.  I'm going to compose some short prose and then go to bed.  (In case you were wondering, an excellent soundtrack to a moody night includes Another Time by Hurt, I Drive the Hearse and the entire second CD of The Incident by Porcupine Tree, and Stuck by The Heavy. Playlist, shuffle, repeat.)

(Also, Mogwai is good if you're writing and don't want to be distracted by bothersome lyrics.)

The world is blank from behind my eyelids.  There is no image, only the gentle play of blurred light.  The cold breeze blowing in across the waves pulls at my imagination, lifting it out of my body and far into the upper atmosphere.  From there, to a soundtrack of oceanic rhythm, I look out over the bay upon whose sandy dress I stand.

My awe radiates outward.  First, I marvel at the beauty of the surrounding mountains and ridges keeping the sea at bay.  The snow dusting their peaks match the cold of the wind.  It is a refreshing cold, not bitter.

Out past these rocky sentinels of the land, a thin white line of foam and sand.  Water and earth embrace as old friends, as old as time.  This is the threshold between one world and another, and it is magnificent.

Beyond all of this, beyond the tall mountains and the old friends stretches a field of the deepest blue.  The sea is uniform, flecked by the foam of cresting waves.  White, blue, white, blue, white blue.  It matches the sky, a brighter blue softened by wisps of passing cloud.  White, blue, white, blue, white blue.

I breathe deeply, filling my lungs with the fresh and salty air which washes over me.  It is cleansing me.  I let it.  What trouble of life could carry itself proudly in this court?  What burden could claim precedence over this vista? None.  They are all driven out, unworthy.

I feel better now, in this place.  I will return here when again the weight of the world presses down too heavily.  It isn't going anywhere.  Or perhaps it is, just with infinitely more stability and grace than myself.

1 comment:

  1. *claps* Bravo, sir!
    You're very well-versed in imagery. :]

    ReplyDelete